Former PokerStars employee Paul Tate has pleaded guilty to operating an illegal gambling business in the US.
Tate made his plea in a US court last week and could now face a prison sentence of up to five years, with a sentencing hearing set for November 21, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper.
The long-running case dates back to 2011, when US Attorney Preet Bharara in Manhattan, New York, won the indictment of 11 defendants, including Tate, who at the time were involved with PokerStars as well as Absolute Poker and Full Tilt Poker.
Tate, a British citizen, said in court that he and his family have “paid a heavy price for this conduct”.
Amaya, the company that owns both the PokerStars and Full Tilt brands, said in a statement that it was not involved in the case and the outcome would have “no impact or legal implications” on its business or operations.
Related article: ‘Bad actor’ PokerStars faces five-year California ban