Wynn reveals date of $2.1bn Boston casino launch
Wynn Resorts’ new $2.1 billion (€1.9 billion) Boston Harbor casino is to open in June 2019.
Executives of the US casino operator confirmed the date with Massachusetts’ Gaming Commission yesterday (Thursday).
Robert DeSalvio, president of Wynn Boston Harbor, said construction is under way at the Everett site, with more than 250 workers to be hired by the end of 2016. A total of 4,000 workers are expected to eventually be employed in constructing the 24-story hotel and casino resort, which is just five miles from Logan International Airport and Boston's financial district.
Work commenced on the project after Wynn obtained a waterfront development permit from the state Department of Environmental Protection earlier this month.
The permit was awarded following an unsuccessfully appeal by the city of Somerville, which argued that the casino would worsen traffic and harm air quality. Somerville Mayor Joseph Curtatone says officials are considering filing a separate appeal in Superior Court.
Related article: Massachusetts gaming commissioner faces ethics investigation