Home > Finance > Danske Spil records year-on-year revenue increase

Danske Spil records year-on-year revenue increase

| By Nosa Omoigui
Danish lottery and gaming operator Danske Spil recorded gross gaming revenue (GGR) figures of DKK4.83bn (£540m/€650m/$710m) for 2021, representing a 1.9% increase from the previous year.

The majority of the revenue – DKK2.79bn – came from lottery operations, up from DKK2.63bn in 2020. Danske Licens Spil, which offers licensed products such as sports betting and gaming, added DKK1.82bn.

Revenue from gaming hall arm Elite Gaming contributed DKK207.8m and revenue from fantasy sports platform Swush totaled DKK15.1m.

58% of GGR came from online gambling in 2021, while the remaining 42% of revenue came from offline sources.

After paying DKK615.8m in state taxes, DKK472.8m in dealer commissions, and DKK278.3m in other gaming related costs, gaming profits amounted to DK3.46bn, up slightly from the DK3.40bn recorded in 2020.

External costs of DKK712.7m, depreciation of DKK369.8m and staff costs of DKK318.6m offset additional financial income of DKK26.3m, diminishing profits to DKK2.10bn.

With income tax of DKK447.5m and further financial expenses of DK48.1m, overall profit for the year amounted to DKK1.63bn, up 11.6% from 2020.

Much of the profit was attributed to Danske Lotteri Spil, which brought in DKK1.48bn, while Danske Licens Spil brought in DKK163.3bn. Swush brought in DKK6.7m and Elite Gaming made a DKK6.9m loss.

During 2021, the Danish government announced its plans to merge Danske Spil with the Danish Class Lottery (Danske Klasselotteri).

Speaking about the performance of Danske Lotteri Spil, Danske Spil CEO Nikolas Lyhne-Knudsen said: “The year ended with a record profit after tax of DKK1.48bn. It is a result of innovation and new products, successful sales and effective marketing, digitisation and a strengthening of the subscription business, where Danske Lotteri Spil in 2021 received a total of approximately 7,500 new customers.

“In 2021, we have again increased our focus on responsibility and on creating the greatest possible value for Danish society. We have an attitude to entertainment –we are responsible for responsible entertainment that creates dreams and experiences.”

Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter