LeoVegas confirms LOGiCO exit in Italy
LeoVegas has reiterated its commitment to the Italian market despite departing LOGiCO, the country’s main gambling industry trade body, over “differences in strategy and tactics”.
The company confirmed to iGamingBusiness.com that the exit was a “mutual decision,” but did not disclose the exact reasons behind split.
The move comes after LeoVegas earlier this month hit out at the government in Italy for its decision to implement a blanket ban on all gambling advertising in the country, branding the decision as “completely wrong”.
Due to come into effect on January 1, the ‘Dignity Decree’ will outlaw all forms of gambling ads across all media platforms including television, websites and radio. Sports clubs will also be prohibited from carrying sponsors from the industry.
LeoVegas has since filed a formal complaint with the European Commission over the issue.
LOGiCO, which represents the interests of online gambling operators in Italy, has also previously stated its opposition to the new rules.
Speaking to iGamingBusiness.com about the move away from LOGiCO, Irena Busic, communications director at LeoVegas, said: “We left LOGiCO over a month ago. This was a mutual decision after having differences in strategy and tactics.
“We are still in contact with LOGiCO on a regular basis and we have a great respect for their work.”
Busic was also keen to commit the operator’s long-term future to Italy, despite ongoing uncertainties over the new advertising regulations.
She said: “We will continue our amazing growth on the Italian market.”