More than 48,000 consumers registered with Gamstop in the six months to 30 June, excluding themselves from all licensed gambling websites.
Of those who signed up, 50% self-excluded for five years, the longest period available via Gamstop. Some 71% of new registrants were male, with the other 29% female.
Meanwhile 21% of new sign-ups were consumers aged between 16 and 24 and the total number of new registrations in this age group also increased 30%.
The organisation also noted that May was the most active month for new sign-up in its history. This surpassed the previous record month of March this year when 8,504 new registrations were reported.
Gamstop registrations near 400,000
More than 390,000 people have registered with Gamstop since its inception five years ago. A total of 84,000 people signed up in 2022.
Gamstop’s exclusion periods include six months, one year or a maximum of five years.
“Today’s data shows the continuing importance of Gamstop in helping consumers to protect themselves from gambling harm,” Gamstop CEO Fiona Palmer said. “At our parliamentary reception in June to mark Gamstop’s fifth anniversary, we heard the moving stories of some of those who have benefitted from the scheme.
“This data puts those stories and lived experiences into a wider context and shows that self-exclusion is an increasingly important tool for anyone trying to take a break from gambling.”