Home > Strategy > M&A > LiveScore boosts product capabilities with South Africa’s Wonderlabz

LiveScore boosts product capabilities with South Africa’s Wonderlabz

| By Robert Fletcher
Sports media operator LiveScore Group acquired South African platform developer Wonderlabz for an undisclosed sum, its first M&A as an independent business.
Livescore Wonderlabz

LiveScore owned a 25% stake in Wonderlabz and acquired the remaining 75% for an undisclosed sum.

The deal adds a team of developers that will accelerate product development and international expansion, LiveScore said.

Wonderlabz offers solutions such as player account management and back-office platforms. LiveScore Group CEO Sam Sadi credited its Lithium PAM as playing a critical role in the operator’s media to betting convergence strategy.

“One of the most exciting businesses in software development”

“I’m thrilled to announce our acquisition of Wonderlabz,,” LiveScore Group CEO Sam Sadi. “It is one of the most exciting businesses in the global software development space.

“I’m personally excited to work even closer with the team in Cape Town to help continue to develop a world-class tech hub in the area, one which increases the technical capability of our business and will fuel the potential for further growth.”

Wonderlabz CEO Ben Johansen added: “There is no doubt that in LiveScore Group, we join one of the most forward-thinking and innovative businesses in the sports media and betting worlds. I cannot wait for our people to continue playing a key role in what comes next.”

LiveScore Bet selects Kambi sports tech

LiveScore Group’s Wonderlabz deal follows last week’s partnership with Kambi, replacing its previous supplier.

“By combining the strengths of Kambi’s technology with LiveScore Group’s world-class sports betting brands, media assets and in-house product teams, I believe we are ideally equipped to create truly memorable experiences for our users,” Sadi said of that deal.

LiveScore Group: an expanding empire

The acquisition comes a year after Swiss-based media and tech firm Ringier AG invested £50.0m (€57.5m/$61.5m) in LiveScore Group, accelerating global expansion plans.

Its media arm is active across a range of global markets, even offering Champions League streaming in Ireland. The LiveScore Bet and Virgin Bet sportsbooks are active in markets such as Great Britain, Ireland, the Netherlands and Nigeria. Other launches in Africa and Bulgaria are in the works.

In an interview with iGB last month, CEO Sadi explained the sportsbook will act as a revenue driver to help expand the media business. This, he said, supports his ultimate goal of developing a market leading integrated sports media operation.

Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter